Thursday 16 May 2013

Fairy Altered Art - Paintbrush Pot!

Back to the world of fairies...did not take long! After a recent fantastic class with Lisa Baker dabbling in the world of altered art, I have been playing with MDF again! At the Ali Pally show I happened upon the MDF man and felt inspired to have a go. I decided that I needed, (yes I did actually NEED a pencil pot for my crafty desk). Seeing as I have been dipping my toe in the world of altering things I have been acquiring a few paint brushes (making me feel like an artist!). These needed a new home so why not make it one designed by me? There is nothing wrong with being selfish with one's creations for a change!
I have based the pot with a layer of gesso and then used some iridescent acrylic paint to coat all along the exposed edges. The main decorative backgrounds are some of Lavinia's gorgeous papers. These have been cut roughly to size and then I have stamped some of my favourite stamps of hers (and a few from Katy Sue designs) to create little scenes. Once dry I have slapped PVA all over the wood and stuck the papers on top. I have then sanded these back to create neat edges and finished off with distress ink. The inside of the pot
has been created in the same way. No fairy creation is complete without glitter, so this has also been added to all wings (Jones Tones glitter) and I have also chosen some flowers to add interest. The beads at the front have been created using jewellery findings in complementary colours, and the flowers were from my stash. The sentiment was pertinent for me as I want to 'believe' that I can do things and not be frightened to try new things or to make mistakes!



3 comments:

  1. Martina, that is gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for entering the Lisa B Designs challenge & good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsten, it means a lot to me to get praise like that! Hope to see you soon and the next Lisa crafty event xx

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger