Saturday 24 December 2016

Sparkle Medium Fairies - 2 for 1!

Good afternoon crafters, I had a little play with my fairy stencil and some Sparkle Medium from Imagination Crafts over the last couple of days - I hope you like the result!

The background is one of the Imagination Crafts background panels which take the Sparkle Medium (or any wet medium) really well, as the paper is coated. It also means (as I found out by chance) that if you make a 'whoopsie', you can wipe the medium off and start again (not that that's ever happened to me at all....!) The method is a simple one; I cut the background to size and taped the stencil over it. I applied Turquoise Sparkle Medium and set aside to dry. In the meantime I die-cut a sentiment twice using a Tattered Lace die (off-setting one behind the other) and some snowflakes. I chose my colours using the tones in the background card, so the coordination was done for me! Once the Sparkle was dry, I layered the snowflakes and sentiment and matted onto a card blank.


And here is what I made from the waste left on the stencil...
I found a piece of pale backing paper from my stash which would show the outline of the fairy clearly. I cut this to size and then taped my 'dirty' stencil on top, just as I had done before. Using a piece of Cut and Dry Foam, I rubbed the Sparkle Medium left on the stencil in circular motions, filling in the shape. This process makes the medium give a foiled look, which appears really distressed and is effective when using bold outline shapes. I really liked the result at this point, but I also wanted to add some more sparkle and detail to my fairy, so I decided to try and go over the wings once again. With the stencil all clean this time, I replaced it over my dry piece and masked off all but the wings. I then applied Diamond Sparkle Medium through and set aside to dry. I had never tried this before, but I really like it! The rest is the same as the card above, but which card do you like the best?

My apologies for the lack of photos at each stage, I really hadn't planned what I was doing and just 'went with it'! I am sure I will use the same technique again, so stay tuned...



3 comments:

  1. Thanks, usually I just use the sparkle medium and wash of the excess but this is a great new idea to use up the extra sparkle and use a good new crafting technique at the same time. What do you do if your sparkle medium has gone slightly harder and lumpy though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add a little boiling water to the pot, stir, seal and leave for a few hours. Check it and add more water to repeat the process if necessary! xx

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger